Ahead of the launch of Sideburn's 50th issue, we caught up with editor Gary Inman to ask our 10 HARDWIRED questions.
1. What does your daily consumption of media look like? (e.g. what websites, apps, social networks etc / good instagram accounts to follow etc)
I'm getting back into reading books more through the day. Social media is increasingly unfulfilling and I've weaned myself off the news. I'm reading Barbarian Days by William Finnegan even though I have no interest in surfing. Before that it was David Sedaris' latest collection and before that a very heavy fiction on the miner's strike, GB84 by David Peace.
Magazines – Delayed Gratification, Little White Lies, Dice, The Square Ball
Instagram – @nevin.pontious @iknewbrianawitan @deathspray @cheetah_4d.studio @edsubias @andyrgarside
Guardian football (website & podcast)
The Athletic for Leeds United coverage
People I Mostly Admire podcast
2. Current favourite artist (music)?
Current bands - King Khan & the Shrines, Wet Leg and Los Bitchos. All-time faves 60s Garage Punk, Rocket From The Crypt, Jonathan Richman, Northern Soul.
3. You’re stuck for an idea, what’s your process to find inspiration?
I live in small-town Lincolnshire so I go for a lunchtime run by the river. No headphones. Things come into focus.
4. When I say ART to you, what’s the first piece that springs to mind, why is that?
Picasso's Guernica. I saw it in Madrid in 2004, the day after the city's train bombing. It was a very memorable experience for many reasons.
5. Who is someone you would like to collaborate with that you haven’t worked with?
Adam Brinkworth of Brinkworth Design.
6. One small piece of advice given to you that you can pass on?
Do what you say you were going to do, when you said you were going to do it.
7. Favourite colour
The blue of a British summer sky.
8. Last indulgent purchase
It might have been my upbringing, but every purchase feels indulgent to some degree. Last big purchase was a £7000 1960s Triumph dirt track race bike, earlier this year.
9. Your super power, what would it be?
Effortless supersonic flight. I don't want to get tired while doing it, or even train for it.
10. ...what's your kryptonite?! (stops you from working, distracts you, a weakness…
Instagram. I'm ashamed to even admit it.
Join us between 6 and 9pm on the 8th September at HM Electric for a celebration of Sideburn's 50th issue.